Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wait Up!

Why won't the world slow down a little so I can catch up on my blog?  Everything keeps moving, quickly at that.  Do you know what I mean?  If I don't blog at least three times a week I end up behind.  Only, I don't have three times a week to blog because life keeps moving. 

That is why I have to keep coming up with these clever ways to  shove a bunch of events into one awesome blog post.   Lucky for me we are "Outnumbered" and a bit crazy, which makes coming up with  clever ideas so much easier.

Really Mechams?  For real?  Get serious!

Reality One:  Kids are sponges and sometimes they suck up "dirty" water.

White Tank Mountain Hike
It was a beautiful night for a hike!  If you ask me it was a bit dark to read all of the signs.  If you ask the kids, well, don't ask the kids.
Look at the wonderful pictures we took!  I love Arizona at night.
This last picture with the cactus and the city lights, amazing.  I wanted my peeps in the photo.  So I lined them all up stepped back, a little further, a little further and I was off the trail.  My family was in the view finder ready when I heard someone approaching, "Go ahead and pass I will wait."  A very firm, "NO, you go ahead."  As you guessed it was a ranger.  As he escorted us out he had a mighty fine chat with the kiddos.
"Their are Mountain Lions in the area." stated the ranger.
"Yeah we know we saw the signs."  said the cute innocent 11 YEAR OLD.
"You can't be on the trails after sunset."  stated the ranger.
"Yeah we tried to tell our parents but they didn't listen." said the innocent 8 YEAR OLD.
"We're home schooled!" came the excitement of a six year old.
MY LB and I stayed quiet through this humbling experience and waited until the car was quiet and we were on our way home before we laughed and vowed never to make the same mistake again.  Children should be seen not heard!

Reality 2:  Double dipping and spoon licking.

We enjoyed the White Tank Mountains two nights in a row.  The second time we went with Leslie's Clan.  The weather was a bit chilly but perfect for hot dogs, smores and hot chocolate around the fire. 

As we snacked on chips and veggies we noticed dirty hands, runny noses and double dipping.  As moms we tried to control it and keep it down to a minimum.  Every time we turned our backs it would happen again.

After dinner we had hot chocolate.  We had two spoons and again as responsible moms we had a scooping spoon and a stirring spoon.  Turned our backs and, "He licked the spoon!"  We rinsed the spoon and all was well.

Now dads they taken a different approach.  After a number of declarations about licked spoons and double dipping Paul decided that the theme for the night should be, "Don't sweat the small stuff."  Leave it to dads to find a solution of this magnitude.



Reality 3:  What goes up MUST come down.

We went to our third and last ballet of the school year, Don Quixote.  We went with our cousins again and had a great time.  The ballet has been such a great introduction to arts and the different way artists express themselves.  You might be thinking that the reality, for real? question would be the tights and the fact that their costumes leave nothing to the imagination.  However, after the first initial shock and "Are they naked?" question, all was well, REALLY.


This however, one of their favorite things to do concluding an amazing production of the ballet is where the trouble comes.  Escalators, do you love them or hate them?  They scare me!  The kids love them, as if they haven't been to Disney Land and gone on some of the happiest rides on Earth.
This particular day after a most amazing ballet performance the kids went up the up escalator, tried to go up the down escalator, played, laughed, got hurt and all while a very large security guard stood watch at the bottom of the escalator.  He did not look happy and unfortunately there was only one way to get out and it was right past the large intimidating security guard.  He didn't say anything to us (he didn't have to) and we didn't say anything to him.  Just keep walking and do not make eye contact.  He made his point!
Reality 4:  No that was my wife!

Wow, I can not wow enough over the most amazing Blue and Gold banquet ever.  I love when people magnify their callings, they provide a great example for my children and I. 


Can I just say that being LDS is awesome!  Their are so many different cultures and talented families that are members of the true church.   They are so willing to volunteer sharing their talents, abilities, and culture with others.
So, for real, right?  The father is beating his drum, singing and being totally unbelievable.  His son is dancing and sharing another musical art filled with dance and story.  It was so tantalizing and I just wanted to clap, cheer and holler.  So I did!  I don't know if I was supposed to, everyone else was so quiet, but it just felt right.  I may have been, O.K. I was the only one that felt the feeling.  After the Blue and Gold one of our friends asked Jeremiah if that was his kids clapping and yelling. 
MY LB looked at him and said, "No, that would have been my wife." 
Thankfully our friend is of the nice kind and replied, "She is so cool!"
This whole experience has got me thinking, how many times has MY LB had to admit that,
"No, that would have been my wife." 
 "Yes, that was my wife." 
 "No, you were right that was her, my wife." 
Poor guy, he should have known that I could not be tamed.

Reality 5:  You get lazy with the last kid.

The children have been told that "16" is dating age and that is from the mouth of the Prophet and we follow the Prophet.  However, they were also told that they had to try everything on their plate, she doesn't, but they do.  They had to take naps until they were 5, she doesn't, but they did.  They got spanks, she doesn't, but they did.

So what can I say when this cute boy showed up with his "sweet" red, Lightning McQueen convertible, we couldn't say no. 


She's getting older!!

So you see the reality and humility of being a Mecham.  For real, we are "Outnumbered" and "Out of control", but as usual it makes our story interesting and worth hearing.
REALLY!

4 comments:

Amie said...

*snort* *giggle* *laugh* Love the "Are they naked?" comment. You guys are doing great! :)

Jenna said...

SO many great stories in there, I don't know where to begin. I love that you have a problem with authority (ranger and security guard). :) And I love that you were yelling and clapping in an otherwise quiet cultural hall. I MISS you!!

Prayin' Mom of 3 said...

Tell Kendall hands off, that's Annabelle's boy. lol. But I guess Kendall gets first dips since she gets more time with him since you still live next door.

Arizona Dunbars said...

That was an awesome post. You always make me laugh and I love it and miss it both. Come visit us at church again. That was so awesome. I am glad to know that I am not the only one outnumbered and out of control. Here's to us!!!