The World turns aside to let any man pass
who knows whither he is going.
- David Starr Jordan
What is your purpose? Do you know it? Do you live your life according to it? I have had many incidents leading up to this Miserable Monday that put a smile on my face when I read it. This very morning during our homeschooling devotional (studying in "Preach My Gospel" a guide to Missionary service) we read about the Plan of Salvation and the purpose of coming to this Earth.
Yesterday I taught a Primary class about how Heavenly Father watches over us. How we can pray to Heavenly Father when we are lonely, sad, scared, or in need of help. Heavenly Father loves each of us. I know that because my Heavenly Father loves me he wants me to live with him again and he will do and has done all he can to help me return.
Also about a week ago I had a very good discussion with my neighbors about this very topic. Why do we come to Earth and how do Latter Day Saints believe that we return to Heaven? I was pretty disappointed in myself and didn't feel as though I contributed as positively as I would have liked to the conversation. I do truly have a strong Testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the truthfulness of the Gospel, however I am not so eloquent with my words.
Quote John Bytheway- " Happy people know why they're here and what they're supposed to do. Since they have a purpose, they live their life on purpose." -end quote I do know that every morning I wake up I am on a mission to become more like my Savior Jesus Christ. To help others, love others, and to make choices that bring me closer to Him and finally home to live with my Heavenly Father. As I do this I am becoming a happier more blessed daughter of God.
Quote John Bytheway - " Having a purpose is like a rudder that steers you through life's storms, winds, and currents. Miserable people drift." - end quote
In our church each member is asked to serve in a calling, throughout our marriage our callings have changed many times. At times serving in a calling, parenting, working, and taking on the duties of household can be over bearing. Admittedly there are times when being busy gets to feel like to much and I have wondered, "Is this really what Heavenly Father wants for us?" Those are moments of weakness when my purpose and blessing elude me.
For I know that when I am serving I am following Christs example as he spent his life and mission in the service of others. Ultimately giving his life in service to us, his brothers and sisters. Now that Christ is not living on the Earth he needs followers to step in and serve where he would if he were here. Our hands become his hands as we help others, we are doing his work. I think of Jeremiah out on the trail changing the lives of the youth and I know that is where he belongs. I think of the many people that serve our family and I know this is what our Heavenly Father planned for us. To love, serve, and be there for one another.
I have to admit that I have not put much thought into what exactly will happen when I leave this Earth. I haven't spent much time studying, what happens next. However I have put much thought and study into why I was sent to this Earth and I know that I am a child of God, that my family can live together forever, and that a loving Heavenly Father is guiding me and awaiting my return.
As I strive to live my purpose and grow stronger each day I hope to one day hear, " Well done, thou good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things; enter now into the joy of the Lord." Matthew 25:21 I imagine his embrace after he says this to me and than the reuniting of family and friends.
I know my purpose, I hope that you know yours. I am sure we all know that within this one huge purpose there are many small purposes that lead us to the person that we are and will yet become.
No comments:
Post a Comment