Thursday, February 4, 2010

BRRR!!

I am still trying to hunt down those low point (Weight Watcher term for; Low Fat) freezer meals. I have had some success and we have already enjoyed two dinners a la "THE FREEZER". I am surprised about 4 things, 1. They taste better than I thought they would. 2. They cost less than I thought they would. 3. They are less points than I thought they would be. 4. We are actually ending up with leftovers.

Here is what I have in my freezer right now and a little bit about what we have eaten. This is just a quick summary with details coming soon. I found some marinated Tilapia (fish), shrimp stir fry, chicken fried rice and some yummy hickory chicken breasts all for great prices at Sam's Club. I also struck a Smart Ones gold mine at Safeway last week and picked up 10 one serving dinners. I bought three each of, Santa Fe Beans, cheese ravioli and elbow macaroni in marinara. I bought some precooked chicken pieces to add to the Santa Fe beans and cheese ravioli and I plan on adding ground beef to the elbow mac in marinara sauce. The meat stretches the Smart One meals and makes a feast for our entire family.

For sides we have been enjoying veggies from the garden, salad, canned veggies and frozen veggies. As well as cottage cheese, yogurt and fresh fruit.

THE KIDS: This is actually a hard one since they are such food detectives. I can't omit anything as it is already prepared. I have decided that on nights MY LB and I enjoy Tilapia and Shrimp stir fry they can grin happy to know they will be getting frozen pizza and chicken nuggets. The only two meals I have prepared so far are, Smart One Cheese Ravioli with Grilled Chicken strips on top and Chicken Fried Rice. The kids really liked both!

Preparing the food I was nervous that I wouldn't end up with enough. Surprisingly we had leftovers for MY LB to take to work the following day. I am really enjoying my quick food prep experiment and I am excited to bring it all together to make easy "Home Schooling Mommy Menus".

My goal is 10 frozen prepared meals (not consecutive and I am keeping a tally this time). Stay tuned, I plan on giving LOTS of details.

2 comments:

The Gearharts said...

Look forward to the details, don't forget to take pics.

Jenna said...

mmmmm, I'm hungry already