As promised here are our magnetically wormy, yet, sun shiny science experiments.
Maggie: Isn't it "Sun-tastic"
How does color affect the absorption of the sun's energy?
Maggie is in first grade and has totally impressed me with her knowledge and desire to learn. Like her brothers she loves Science (especially experiments). She did an awesome job presenting at the Science Fair and has my vote for "Girl Scientist of the Year."
Spencer: Magnetic Attraction
What can a magnet pass through?
This was a fun experiment! Spencer searched many magnet books until he finally combined a couple of experiments into one. He was very thorough in his reading and studying on the subject of magnets. At first mom was the only one to be able to hold the magnet still enough to get the paperclip to suspend in air, Spencer's stubborn nature drove him to keep trying until he became a "pro". He was able to do the experiment at the Science Fair on his own. Fun Fact: Spencer forgot string at home for his experiment so his friend Maddie from our Home School group fashioned him a string out of nearby plant. What a sweet girl!
Matthew: Meal Worms Oh Meal Worms
Do meal worms have all five senses?
This Science project was actually four in one. Matthew did four different experiments to test the meal worms senses. He formed questions and hypothesis for all of the experiments and really rocked the house on this one. I am so impressed with his perseverance and detail. We all enjoyed watching the meal worms but only one of us would tolerate holding the meal worms (me). That was until the day of the Science fair and they saw all of the other kids handling them without dieing.
We love our home school group, it is full of creative, fun and energetic kiddos and parents. Every child had a chance to explain their project and do a little experiment if they had one. After everyone was done the kids went around to the different projects and did some exploring on their own. I was so excited to see how wonderful all of the projects were and how excited the kids were to share their projects and best of all how eager they were to hear from their peers. They were all so respectful and polite, an awesome group of kids.
In conclusion: You didn't think I would leave you hanging did you?
Maggie: Dark colors attract more of the sun's energy.
Spencer: The magnet pulled through air, paper, fabric, wood and glass.
Matthew: No, meal worms do not have all five senses they are lacking hearing and smelling and have a very acute sense of sight. They rely heavily on the sense of touch.
Mom: The kids and I had a wonderful time together and I love home school.
Stay tuned for our next adventure when Outsmarted gets a little trashy.
1 comment:
Very cool Christy...although I don't think I would have been able to hold the meal worm. I'm a wimp. I do think it's cool how he figured it all out.
Post a Comment