Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I Am A Youth


Today I listened to a home school recording that contained much needed information about the coming of "youth". It was a real eye opener to me of how misunderstood children are and how much we as adults demand to be understood. The speaker touched on hormones and how as women these words should be familiar to us; PMS, depression, mood swings and so on. I loved this part, many of us have been experiencing these hormonal affects for years and yet we still do not know how to control them. Yet we expect a child who is just experiencing them to control them. Puberty is a major hormonal change.


She also stated that because the body has so many other things to be concentrating on during this period of time many things that came natural before become difficult (such as thinking and listening). This period of their life will pass, the hormonal changes will slow down, they will mature and become adults. However, the experiences, positive and negative they have with their parents will last forever. What an awakening! The book The Five Love Languages of Children was brought up and how important at this stage of life it is to know what makes your child feel loved. I need to read this book.


Matthew is such an incredible child, he has been very excited for this time in his life. He has been reading books about it, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens, Receiving and Honoring your Priesthood and a book all about Growing Up. During our oral exam and discussion times he enjoys discussing what he is learning. I am taken back with how much he has grown in spirit, mind and body. He enjoys Leadership Education and is determined to bypass the term Teenager and become a strong and able Youth.


Our new ward has been wonderful for him. He is so social and friendly with everyone and freely expresses compassion. The first week in our new ward he was invited to a party that he enjoyed immensely. He has made many friends in Boy Scouts and had a great time on his first backpacking trip. MY LB accompanied him on the trip and only had great things to say about him.


Knock on wood I have yet to experience any crazy hormonal changes but I feel very blessed to hear the words of experienced women that take their time to teach others how to achieve positive relationships with their children. I cherish my relationship with Matthew, MY LB has expressed how great it has been to go backpacking with him and serve with him now he is of age.







I have been given many things in my life to show responsibility for, but nothing as important as raising Gods children. What a fantastic burden, I pray each day that I get it right. I guess I should also pray to know what getting it right means. I think with all of my heart that getting it right does not mean raising perfect kids that don't make any mistakes. Getting it right means that as a parent I need to have a full and complete understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. To understand the sorrows and heart ache that come from sin and be their for them in their time of need. I know there were many times that I wish I had someone physically there to comfort me and love me in spite of my follies. I am thankful for the peace that comes from knowing that God loves us and wants us to find happiness and offers redemption for our sins.


Matthew, being a good mom to you and your siblings is the most important thing to me (after loving MY LB). It was what I wanted to be when I grew up, a mom, it is my number one accomplishment I want to take with me into the eternities. I love you always and forever, mom.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

You will be such an amazing mom to your teenagers--they will appreciate your frankness and never-ending compassion. Figure it all out so you can tell me what to do when I get there, ok?

JENN said...

YOU ARE A GREAT MOM!
I LOVED THIS POST:) TRUTH TRUTH AND MORE TRUTH:)
CONGRATULATIONS MATTHEW ON BECOMING A DEACON!!!

LOVE JENN