Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Outsmarted 4to1- Is it really that easy?


I have been a reading maniac these past months. I have been studying on my own and with a group to learn all there is to learn about leadership education. Honestly, it just seems to easy. They read and they learn; no tests, no worksheets, no drilled learning. We read, write, discuss and do a project. It just seems to easy, could it really be that easy?

Since we have been implementing this program in our home everything has changed. Especially our attitudes; I am no longer forcing, begging, pleading, bribing or grounding. I am inspiring, laughing, encouraging and learning with them. They know what they are studying and they have their books. They read, they hear, they watch and they learn.

So, does it really work? Do kids really learn without worksheets, tests and drills? Could it really be that easy?

Kendal putting on her "cowgirl boots"


Mom: I think that boot is the right one.


Kendal: No, it is my left boot and it goes on my left foot.


Mom: How do you know that is your left foot?


Kendal: Because in the car when you say turning left that is the way you turn.

Really, I started saying I am turning right or I am turning left at random times when I am driving and VIOLA, Kendal learned from hearing and watching.



It makes so much sense I know we all have those times that are kids say and do something brilliant (or un-brilliant) and we wonder, where on Earth did they learn that? It's just that easy!

Mom: Wow, that is awesome that you know that!


Kendal: (Wearing her "cowgirl boots", her hand on her hip, a little tilt of the head and.... )

"A girls got to know what a girls got to know"

She does a click with her tongue and a snap with her finger.




At times like this I can't help to wonder;


What will she become?

No comments: