Thursday, January 28, 2010

Crock Pot SUCCESS!!

Well here is the follow up to my 7 nights of Crock pot Dinners. It was a great week! To be honest the 7 nights were not consecutive. On the sixth night we took a break to eat all of our leftovers that were accumulating. Not only did we have dinner but the crock pot meals provided a few lunches and a leftover night, can't beat that. On the seventh night MY LB and I went on a date, dinner and the Temple. The eighth night I was right back on it for crock pot enchiladas and the ninth night we had super yummy Cranberry Crock pot Chicken.

It was a good thing the ninth night fell on this particular Sunday because right after Relief Society I was asked to feed the missionaries. We love having the missionaries in our home so the answer was easy. Facing the ride home with them in the dirty car and not remembering the condition of my home was not easy. However I knew dinner was in the crock pot and thank goodness it was the yummiest crock pot dinner yet. I actually did the same crock pot recipe today only with meatballs and it was so good.

Here are our recipes rated with our yummy meters, 5 being the yummiest. I added the recipe for the two we loved the most.

Ham and Potatoes Au Grautin - 2 yummies - Good but next time I will use bigger ham pieces.

Slow Cooker Lasagna - 3 yummies - Really good and made with ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, which I loved.

Barbecued Pork - 4 yummies - Super good one of our favorites, the pork was so tender and filled with yummy flavor.

2lbs. boneless pork top loin
1c. chopped onion
3/4 c. diet soda (we used Caffeine Free Diet Coke)
3/4 c. barbecue sauce (we just used a Wal-Mart generic brand. Using different types could really add good variations.)

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook covered on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender (4 hours for us). Drain and slice or shred (we shredded and had sandwiches).
Make 8 servings at 4 points each (not including buns)

Cheesy Crock pot Chicken - 3 yummies - I cooked it a little long so the meat shredded which ended up being great for leftovers. I just added some taco seasoning and we had yummy Chicken Soft Tacos.

Cheese Enchiladas - 2 yummies - I love the idea of this and it gave me great ideas for putting my own spin on it next time. You have to be really careful with cook time so your tortillas don't get over cooked and end up being mush. STILL GOOD!

Cranberry Crock pot Chicken - 4 yummies (close to 5) - The mixture of these three ingredient creates the most amazing taste. Once again careful with the overcooking or your chicken will shred. We were at church or I would have stopped it sooner. I did not add the rice to the crock pot I made the rice separate and served the chicken over it. Again, I did meatballs tonight and it was so YUMMY!

16oz can smooth cranberry sauce
8oz fat free or low fat Catalina salad dressing
1 envelope dry onion soup
16 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 cup Uncle Ben's Rice

Mix cranberry sauce, dressing and soup mix together in crock pot. Add chicken (or choice of meat). Cook on low 6 hours (to long for me, more like 4). Add rice and cook another 30 to 40 minutes until rice is done (I skip this step and serve over rice). Because of the variation in calories with the dressing the points weren't given. However, I added our up with Low Fat dressing and got 6 point 1 cup servings with chicken and 8pts with 5 meatballs (stinking store bought meatballs just aren't good for you)

The dinners were all fairly easy. The only real prep was with the potato recipe and the ground beef recipes. It was so nice to have dinner ready, it left no room for Mr. Helper or fast food to reside in our home.

FUNNY STORY
! I guess you are wondering how kid friendly the recipes were. Most of the time we had at least three out of the four eat without tears. Twice they all ate without tears, Barbecue Pork and Cranberry Chicken. AND on the last day when I was pulling out my crock pot my little Kendal (two years old) pulled on the cord and exclaimed, "No mommy it's yucky, put it back." She would not let go and I couldn't help but to laugh, the crock pot didn't even have anything in it yet. After eight nights of carrying it to the table, she knew. She ate the Cranberry Chicken like it was going out of style.

Next week I am going to explore the great big world of pre-prepared meals. I will check the labels with my handy dandy Weight Watcher calculator and try for 6 points or less. I am hoping with exploration and trying new things dinner time will become easier and less fly by the seat of my pants. And at the end of my exploration I will build a menu, just in time to pull out the grill.

Crock pot recipes Weight Watcher style visit here; Taste Of Home.

If you can count read this, if not have a nice day.

I was just reading over my post and noticed there are only six nights of crock pot meals, MY BAD! Don't forget I did have the flu and I was in bed for two days. That can really mess a person up. Kudos to me for being honest! It was either that or bluff a Chili Crock pot night, yes I thought about it. I am human after all!

4 comments:

Amie said...

This is aweseome! I'm totally gonna try the pork and cranberry recipes!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try some of the recipes. My kids hated Sunday meals because they were from the crockpot. They say the one good thing about 8:00 chuch is that I have enough time to cook dinner after church.

JENNIFER WILSON said...

The Ham and Potatoes Au Grautin sound yummy! I am definitely going to try that recipe.

Jenna said...

I want to try to cranberry one. Isn't it funny how dinner is tied directly to our self-esteem? If I have had a great week with great dinners on the table I am flying HIGH! But on those off weeks I'm grumpy and keep telling myself what a loser I am! This week is a flying high week for me as far as dinners go. :) Thanks for the post