Sunday, March 25, 2012

Wilderness Survival

Loving Boy Scouts

It is keeping us on our toes!  Takes us places we have never been before and are glad that we only have to be there through one more boy.  Kudos to all that have a family full of boys.

This time it took us camping.  Matthew is earning his Wilderness Survival merit badge and one of the requirements was to sleep outdoors in a primitive shelter constructed from nature and his survival kit.  He is so clever but craves instant gratification (get's that from me) so he never really takes his time to create to his full potential.  Whatever, is a term used by me a lot in scouting.  You may use the term as a scout term also if you would like.  It actually comes in very handy when working with boys, WHATEVER!  "I am done, how does my shelter look?"  It looked, well, thrown together.  I tried to be honest in a nice way and got a bunch of; well, but, you don't understand, this is how it is suppose to look...... OK, than it is good, whatever you want.

Of course I am not going to pretend that my feet were not near frost bite that night (my Eagle scout husband says that's not possible, WHATEVER!).  I hate complaining which makes me wonder why God made me so good at it.  On the up side the day after the cold night was absolutely beautiful.

We had a wonderful time and pictures speak louder than words.













When we go camping there are so many wonderful things to come home to; a roof, cleanliness, water, shower, my bed, and so many other things.  NOTICE that I did not say toilet, this time I came home and honestly I did not miss my toilet.  He was a little upset by my welcomings to all of the others that I missed; the toilet cringed when I hugged my bed and pouted when I filled my shower with words of affirmation.  I just didn't miss my toilet this time.  WHY?  Because I had LUGALOO, the best piece of camping gear we have ever purchased.

Oh how wonderful to have somewhere to sit when sitting is needed.  Not having to deal with the goings on of kids and the wilderness potty.  I really thought a wedding ceremony was going to take place right there in the wilderness me and my lugaloo.  (You can be married more than once as long as your other marriages are to unaware things of the unaware sort.  Like puppies, bunnies, kitchenaides, netbooks, and of course lugaloos.) 

Camping was a blast and as always, "We really should do that more often."

2 comments: