
This morning as I woke my children up for school after a late night driving home from the beach. I looked at their bright red sunburned bodies and I frowned. What kind of parent lets this happen? As I thought about this I wondered, what if?
What if I had a "BOSS", someone that I had to explain this horrible negligence to. I am sure I would get reprimanded OR maybe knowing that I would have to face the "BOSS" I would have been more careful. Wow, this opens a HUGE box of mommy error.
Today the President of the United States Barak Obama spoke to my children at their school (via the internet). A note came home from school, a signature was all they needed to opt out and not hear the message. I read emails opposing the speech and recommending that we take a stand and not allow our children to participate.
I woke my children up late this morning the rush was on, I stopped to look up what time the speech would begin and noticed that they had the full speech available for reading online. I read it and MY LB at work read it.
Matthew remembered that his teacher said that I had to write a note saying that I received the paper about the presidents speech and that it was o.k. for him to watch. What, I thought that we only had to sign and return if we didn't want them to watch. Now he needs a signature saying that he can?
MY LB and I rely very heavily on the Gospel of Jesus Christ to guide our family to help us teach our children. We love them and want them to grow to be amazing people and achieve amazing things (like having children and loving their families).
12th Article Faith
We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
Today at school my children watched the President of the United States of America give a speech. I watched at home and MY LB watched at work. The president reiterated to our children what we as parents have been teaching them. The importance of education, setting goals, communicating with us as their parents, that they each have amazing potential and that they can be anything they choose to be if they practice, study and stick to it. And then he said to them God bless. This would not be numbered amongst my mommy errors.
If I had a "BOSS" I would tell him this,
"Being a mom is hard work and the results of my labors are eternal. This job is full of pressures, anxiety, split moment decisions and labors that build people. My mistakes are numerous and my time is limited. I love these people, they are my life. I NEED THIS JOB."
5 comments:
So the speech was good? I was very curious about it since I don't have any kids in school yet.
I had some mixed feelings about the speech. Granted I don't have kids in school so it didn't affect me personally. But I was trying to decide if I would have let my children watch him speak.
I too can up with the same decision you did. I thought of the 12th Article of Faith. And although I don't agree with much of the current presidents’ views or opinions, I do not want my children to grow up with an untrusting feeling towards the government. I want them to know that we live in a wonderful country. One that we are able to practice our religion and have free speech. And that we have the ability to really make changes.
But did you know that they showed this first?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqcPA1ysSbw&feature=email
This video is what I didn’t like at all. It was really disturbing to me. All the things they say sound good but all I see is false words, spoken by shallow people, worshipping a golden idol. Plus we aren’t supposed to serve the President; his office is to serve the people, right?
We agreed with you after reading the speech that is was a positive message I wouldn't mind my kids hearing. I'm not sure if they saw it at school or not as it was optional for the teachers to show but I hope they did get to see it. If not I'm sure it will be online tonight somewhere for viewing.
We decided to let them watch it too. It was totally non-partisan and everything he said was pretty much generic good stuff. I don't like people opting out (our school had an opt-OUT paper, not an opt-IN so that's probably what yours was as well) simply based on party. Would I be so in an uproar if this was a Republican president? Oy. Anyway, my kiddos actually prayed for the president tonight. And though I didn't vote for him, I think it shows exactly what you mentioned--he's our president and we need to respect him and be good citizens.
Now, as far as the celebrity thing: 98% of it was just fine. There were a couple dumb things said "funkalicious funk" ?? and a couple of silly things, as well as the 'serve the president' garbage, but in the end, it was mostly good things that we are encouraged to do as good citizens of a country we love. Again, would people be in such an outrage if these were all republican celebrities?
*shrug* =)
My kiddos go to a charter school and they didn't see the speech at all. Hmm...
Post a Comment