Being an athlete (OK I used to be, that's not the point) I have really grown to love the term Time Out For Women. This was my fifth year participating in a Time Out LDS style and I love it.So here is the picture: The score is kids 10 and mom 5 with one lifetime left to go and mom is looking a little haggard and drained. What will she do? Will she pull out of it? I think she might give up, Oh no wait what is this? Yest it looks like it, mom is calling a TIME OUT. Good for her.
It feels so good to step away from the norm even if it is just for a short time. It feels even better to feel the spirit so powerfully the entire time you are away. To laugh, to cry, to ponder and have a new strong desire to obey.
Here is a rundown of what I learned while I was on a Time Out:
Brad Wilcox
- I learned that it is OK to be happy, laugh and let my sense of humor shine. Which was a good lesson since I was getting ready to put it on a shelf and try to forget that it was there.
- Confirmed, Marjerie Pay Hinkley is the most wonderful women ever. I learned that we should all be "50" for eternity. That is when she says you stop competing and just start living.
- I decided to take the Wendy Watson challenge: For 5 days pray every morning for the effort to feel the Holy Ghost within you all day. When challenges come up through the day get back down on your knees and pray for the spirit to help you through your challenge. I can't remember the list of all of the things that come from being diligent in this great challenge but it was good, Trust Me.
- I need to choose to be delightful, DUH! Seems like a no brainer.
- Back to the ball game: Only this time it is Satin vs Jesus Christ, good vs evil. We know the ending we know who wins so what Jersey are we going to wear? I think I am pretty competitive so this analogy will really help me. I CHOOSE THE WINNING TEAM, the happy ending.
- This is good stuff, let's see if I can tell it so you can understand it. First of all it is important to know that life is not all about how we look. However, our Outward appearance is a manifestation of our inward commitments. Example: We don't wear jeans and t-shirts to church because we have an inward commitment to dressing with respect for the sacred ordinance that will be performed. Get it? SO, Don't fake a commitment by faking appearance. Just think about it.
- Analogy: Our kids are like fruit, rotten, just kidding, as they grow there are different stages of ripeness until they are ready to be eaten (yum). Fruit gets it's nourishment and continues to ripen by feeding it, watering in and then leaving the rest up to the "sun". So as mommy's we need to do what we can to raise our amazing little people but (read carefully) we can not raise "ripe fruit" without the "Son". This was huge for me, how often do I think, being a mom would be easier if I had a manual and some extra hands. Guess what? I do, I just have to have faith, do my best (or close to) and leave the rest up to the "Son". Beautiful message.
- Parable of the Loaves and Fishes
1. What do you have to offer? Determine what you have and make the most of it and you will find an abundance. We can be part of miracles in the ordinary times of our lives.
2. Give it all. The lad with the loaves and fishes gave it all. After giving it all the Lord provided a miracle and there was an abundance.
3. Learn to be content. The barley loaves and fishes were actually common food for the lower class or poor. Regardless the people didn't complain and ate until they were content. Abundance comes from even the simplest of offerings. Be content with what you have been given.Best Part. Everything was in place for the miracle: The loaves, fishes, lad and disciples but with out Christ there would have been no miracle, no abundance. The Lord knew of this miracle before he performed it and he knows of the miracles awaiting us. We need to put everything into place so we can partake of the abundance. LOVE IT!!
Wendy Ulrich
- What stands between you and being prepared to stand before the Lord spotless? You want a list?
- Difference between Sin and Weakness Sin is the element of self deception, knowing wrong and doing it anyway. Satin is the author of sin and it lives in our agency to choose right from wrong. Sin CAN be eliminated through the atonement of Jesus Christ. Weakness is any inadequacy or limitation God gives unto man. God uses the weaknesses to help us reach our Heavenly goal. Satin tries to turn our weakness into sin. Weakness is part of being human and CAN NOT be eliminated. We need to have humility and be meek and teachable to overcome them.
- 5 p's to overcoming weakness
Ponder: is this a sin or weakness
Prioritize: what do I want to work on first
Practice: overcoming things takes time
Props: write down your efforts and success, reward system
Patience: it takes time but it is well worth it
Kim Belcher
- I didn't take many notes because I was laughing so hard. But I can tell you the lessons I learned from a women who had so much pain and reason to anguish were way beyond note taking. Find laughter in life even when things aren't on the up and up and JUST LAUGH. Choose to be happy regardless of what you are facing. Use the Saviors power to give you the will to be happy, to laugh and to love life regardless of your circumstances. Let hope replace fear and that knowledge that one day, you will sit at the right hand of God guide your life into finding light within the dark.
I have been in many games where a time out is necessary and that is why I love the analogy of a time out. The game gets intense, the coach is yelling, nothing seems to be working, everyone is tired and you and your team mates are losing hope. Time outs provided a chance to recollect, get a quick break, make a plan and reestablish your purpose. To WIN or have fun, which ever you prefer. This time out however was to reestablish my relationship with my Father in Heaven and remember what it is all for. Someday MY LB and I will sit at the right hand of God and we are going to do all we can to teach our kids what they need to do to sit there with us.
It has been a while and mom is still huddled trying to figure out just what she will do. Wait, I think she is about ready to get back in the game. The kids look ready and all charged up too. Yes here she comes, here comes mom. She is back in the game.
GOOOOO MOM!!
2 comments:
sounds awesome!!
It was loads of fun! Too bad its not mandatory!
Post a Comment